Back in September I posted about a Kid’s Costume Trunk that I was planning to auction off at a museum fundraiser.
My goal for this project was to emphasize reuse as much as possible. With the exception of the no-sew tulle skirt, all fabric costume pieces were made from my fabric stash!
I had a lot of fun glueing the pointy elf ears, painting the wand, and cutting out pieces of craft foam. It was refreshing. Props require a different kind of concentration and artistry, and lack the pressure of “fitting.” I can’t count the number of times I’ve sewn something and the fit has been off, requiring another muslin or a bunch of seam ripping.
Tutorials & Patterns I used:
- Eyepatch: http://chickiedee.com/diy-pirate-eye-patch/
- Elf Ears: http://zeldaness.deviantart.com/art/How-to-Make-Costume-Elf-Ears-135064150
- Suede Vest: http://littlestonecape.blogspot.com/2012/10/childs-pirate-vest.html
- Magic Wand: http://doodlecraft.blogspot.com/2012/07/harry-potter-magic-wands-diy.html
- Pouch: Butterick Pattern B5580
- Arm Bracers: based on my Korra armband pattern
- Green Tunic: two large rectangles, with holes left for head and arms